Wednesday 4 May 2016

3) GREAT CORMORANT (Phalacrocorax carbo)

3) Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo)

The above photograph of the Cormorant was taken at a Mysore lake about 9 years back. It was taken with Nikon Cool-pix camera. 

But I have difficulty in identifying the Cormorant. Either it is Indian Cormorant or Great Cormorant. 

This one has a stockier and thicker neck. Its head is also large.Tail seem to be short. It has white belly and the body is brown. It has a yellow Gular pouch too. So I guess this Cormorant is Great Cormorant may be Juvenile.

If identification of the above bird by me is incorrect then please feel free to correct me.

In my listing of birds sighted and photographed by me this one is in serial number 3.


Reference:

1) Birds of the Indian Subcontinent by Richard Grimmet, Carol Inskipp and Tim Inskipp

2) Birds of South Asia, The Ripley guide by Pamela C. Rasmussen and John C Anderton

3) The Book of Indian Birds by Salim Ali

4) A Pictorial Field Guide to Birds of India by Bikram Grewal, Sumit Sen, Sarwandeep Singh, Nikhil Devasar and Garima Bhatia

5) The Wikipedia

#Greatcormorant

No comments:

Post a Comment