Saturday 6 August 2016

34) BLACK HOODED ORIOLE (Oriolus xanthornus)

  34) Black Hooded Oriole (Oriolus xanthornus)

I had visited Bhandavgarh Wildlife Sanctuary in Madhya Pradesh to see Tigers in the month of April 2016. This wildlife sanctuary is famous for tigers. After seeing tigers in its natural habitat, I tried to see the birds. I saw this bird on a tree plucking berries in the neighbourhood of the place where I was staying. I am noticing this bird for the first time in my life.

Recently in Kerwa Dam area, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh  I saw this bird species again. But I couldn't take clear photographs of it as it was perched very high in the tree canopy.

At both the places, I saw a pair of this bird together. I guess both male and female fly together and stay in the near vicinity of each other.

It is said that it is a resident breeder in India preferring open broadleaved forest and well-wooded area.  Its food is made up of insects and fruits.It spends much of its time in the canopy of the trees.


It generally, builds its nest in the tree having Black Drongo nest. The Black Drongo has the habit of chasing away marauders approaching its nest. Hence it is presumed that by building the nest on the same tree, Orioles also get protection. Generally, it lay two eggs.

The male Oriole has striking black and yellow colouration. Its has predominantly yellow plumage. A black hood. Black patch on the wings and centre of the tail. It said that the female also has a black hood with greenish underparts.The young birds are said to be like the female with lighter black hood.

The presence of a black hood differentiates it from the Indian Golden Oriole.

In India, Indian Golden Oriole, Maroon Oriole, Black Hooded Oriole, Slender Billed Oriole and Black Naped Oriole are seen. So far, I have seen Indian Golden Oriole and Black Hooded Oriole. I hope to see other Oriole variants in one of these days.

Reference:

1) Wikipedia
2) The Book of Indian Birds by Salim Ali

3) Birds of the Indian Subcontinent by Richard Grimmett, Carol Inskipp and Tim Inskipp

4) Birds of South Asia, The Ripley Guide by Pamela C Rasmussen and John C Anderton


No comments:

Post a Comment