Tuesday 23 August 2016

36) BLACK CRESTED BULBUL (Pycnonotus flaviventris)


36) BLACK-CRESTED BULBUL (Pycnonotus flaviventris)

I had visited waterfalls at Tirathgad near Jagdalpur in the state of Chattisgarh some time back. The persons who accompanied me brought my notice to this yellow bird which was perched on a branch in a tree nearby. It gave good pose and did not hop from branch to branch enabling me to take these photographs.

I referred to the internet as well as some birding books to identify this bird learnt that It is known as Black Crested Bulbul. It is a resident bird found in Himalayas, North-East India, Chattisgarh and Orissa in India.
It can be observed from the photographs that it has a glossy black head, long pointed crest, pale yellow eyes and bright yellow underparts.

Its crest reminds me of the latest hair style fashion among some youth in India nowadays.

Its diet consists of fruits and insects. It is a bird of forest and dense scrub. It builds its nest in a bush. The nest generally has two to four eggs.

In  my listing of birds that I have seen and photographed, this one comes at serial number 36.


Reference:

1) Birds of the Indian Subcontinent by Richard Grimmett, Carol Inskipp and Tim Inskipp

2) Birds of South Asia, The Ripley guide by Pamela C. Rasmussen and John C Anderton

3) The Book of Indian Birds by Salim Ali

4) The Wikipedia











No comments:

Post a Comment